Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Why I love video games, part 12,437

My sister has been home from college for the past few days, taking a timeout from the stress of finals prep and college life in general. We had the house to ourselves today so I hooked up the Wii U to the living room TV and the two of us played some co-op Super Mario 3D World for a couple hours.

A couple hours quickly turned into four or five because we were having so much fun. There's something special about handing someone a controller and watching them smile and have fun with a game you just knew they'd enjoy, and I'm telling you, nobody does it quite like Mario.

I don't have much else to say- I just had a great day playing Nintendo with my sister. Deep down I guess I'll always wish I could go back to being nine years old again, and days like today get me about as close to fulfilling that wish as I'll ever be. Watching her hold the controller up to her face in anticipation of the next level, seeing her laugh and fling her head back with a smile when she accidentally threw my Luigi off the ledge... It reminded me that, despite all of the years and the “grown-up” matters that have inevitably clouded our heads, we're still the same kids that we've always been. Still the same brother and sister.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that quick thought. This is why I love video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment